Indonesian Butter Chicken
This is a staple dish in Indonesia that every home knows how to cook. It requires a little bit of a niche ingredient which is Kecap Manis (sweet soy sauce) but it’s a super versatile and delicious sauce to keep at home! It should be easy to find in Asian grocery stores but if you can’t find it, 3 parts honey to 1 part soy sauce will make a great substitute in a pinch. This dish only takes about half an hour to make and is a punch of sticky, savoury goodness. Substitute the meat however you want and replace it with tofu and omit the oyster sauce to make it vegan! Try this for a protein-rich taste of South East Asia!
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 800 g chicken thighs
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 shallot
- 1 scallion
- 1 small lime
- 5 tablespoons sweet soy sauce (Kecap Manis)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- Water as needed
- Salt, pepper and sugar to taste
- Butter to taste
- In a fry pan, heat up a few tablespoons of oil and sear the chicken until evenly browned.
- While the chicken is browning, dice up your shallots, garlic and scallions.
- Mix up your sweet soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, ketchup and oyster sauce.
- Remove the chicken and put in a separate plate
- In the same pan, fry the garlic and shallots
- Once fragrant, add in your sauce mixture and let it mingle for 30 seconds
- Add in about 500 ml of water and the chicken back in the pan and simmer
- Continue adding water and simmering until chicken is tender
- Once ready, the sauce should have the texture of a thick syrup!
- Add in some butter (or not).
- Squeeze some lime juice and sprinkle some chopped scallions on top and enjoy!
* Vegan substitutions available: use semi-firm tofu instead of chicken! Oyster sauce can be omitted!
Link to reference recipe :https://cookpad.com/id/resep/3832883-ayam-goreng-mentega
Recipe reviewed by Annie Tsang, RD
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 340
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 0mg
- Fat: 11g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 2g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 38g