For the times when you are craving those nostalgic chicken nuggets from your childhood, but do not want fast food, these healthy chicken nuggets will become your new go-to! This recipe is very easy to whip up, tastes better than fast food, and makes you feel good about what you are eating since you know exactly what is in them. Another bonus is that they are baked, not fried. You can prepare these in large batches and store them in the freezer, baking them from frozen whenever you want, making them easy for those who prepare meal prepping and those without time to cook every day. These chicken nuggets are kid-friendly and perfect for lunches. To make them a more filling meal, you can use these chicken nuggets in a salad or serve them alongside some rice and veggies. Feel free to adjust the seasonings to your liking. You can make these gluten-free by using gluten-free breadcrumbs. Chicken is a good source of lean protein, which is important for building and maintaining strong bones, muscles, and organs. Protein is also an essential component for our hormones, enzymes, and immune system, which ensure our body is able to function correctly.
- Yield: 5 servings 1x
- 1 ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp milk of choice
- 1 lb chicken breast (about 2 chicken breasts)
- Preheat your oven to 400 F. Line a large baking sheet with an oven-safe wire rack and spray the rack with nonstick cooking oil.
- Cut your chicken into 1 inch cubes.
- Add breadcrumbs into a bowl with all the spices and mix well.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs and milk.
- Dip each chicken cube into the egg mixture, then into the breadcrumb mixture. You can use tongs to make dipping easier and less messy. Transfer each chicken cube to the wire rack, about one inch apart.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until cooked through and a meat thermometer measures an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Let cool for a few minutes before serving with your favorite sauces, like ketchup, barbeque sauce, garlic aioli, or anything else! Enjoy!
Link to reference recipe : https://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/crispy-baked-chicken-nuggets
Recipe reviewed by Annie Tsang, RD
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 230
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 220mg
- Fat: 4.5g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 30g
- Cholesterol: 55mg