Kung Pao Cauliflower
A perfect way to not miss out on this Chinese classic dish if you are a plant-based eater. This recipe cuts out the meat but keeps the flavor. It is delicious, hearty, and comforting! Cauliflower is packed with antioxidants and phytonutrients that can protect against cancer. It contains lots of fiber to enhance weight loss and digestion. As well, cauliflower has choline which is essential for learning and memory retention. Give this recipe a try!
- ½ cup chickpea flour
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ cup plant-based milk
- ½ tbsp soy sauce
- 1 medium head of cauliflower
- ½ cup of water
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼–⅓ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp oil or water
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 3–4 1 tsp peppercorns
- 1 small/medium bell pepper, sliced into fine strips
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Fresh chives, chopped
- Peanuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl whisk together cornstarch, chickpea flour, plant-based milk, and soy sauce. Let it sit for about 1 minute, then add the cauliflower florets.
- Toss until all cauliflower florets are coated with batter. Transfer the cauliflower to the prepared baking sheet and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes
- Heat oil (or water) in a skillet over low to medium heat, add garlic, ginger, peppercorns. Saute for 1 minute, stirring frequently to avoid burning.
- Next, add bell pepper and saute with a lid on for a further 5-6 minutes, stirring frequently. Add more water if necessary (I used 1 tbsp).
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. In a medium/large bowl, combine water, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, cornstarch, smoked paprika, and cayenne. Whisk.
- Pour the sauce into the skillet. Bring to a boil and let simmer on low heat for 1 minute. Add the roasted cauliflower florets and toss to coat.
- Transfer back to the baking sheet and bake for a further 10-15 minutes if you like the cauliflower to be crispy OR enjoy immediately.
- Serve with rice or rice noodles. Garnish with sesame seeds, fresh chives and peanuts (optional). Enjoy!