Baked Curry Chicken & Barley
Are you on the hunt for a perfectly satiating and flavourful dinner? This baked curry chicken & barley meal is excellent for family dinners or meal prep and will leave you feeling satisfied for hours. The spice mixture coats the chicken, vegetables and barley with hearty flavour. Barley is a delightfully chewy grain that is packed with essential nutrients such as heart-healthy beta-glucans. Barley also has a low Glycemic Index, making it a fabulous ingredient for daily consumption. Snappy Grains offers two types of quick-cooking barley pouches-regular and organic, perfect for any meal! If you prefer batch-prepping your barley, you can always cook in advance, then proportion the amount of barley for this dish to speeden the baking process!
- 1 cup Snappy Grains barley
- 2 cups or 1 can of chicken stock
- 2 chicken breasts or 4–6 chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 diced tomatoes
- 1 diced bell pepper
- 1 diced onion
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Optional: chili powder or fresh chili peppers
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Drizzle oil in a large pot on medium heat and fry your diced onion and garlic until translucent.
- Add in your chicken breasts/ chicken thighs and continue frying until lightly golden
- Add in your spices – curry powder, turmeric, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Mix the spice mix thoroughly until the chicken, onions and garlic are all coated
- Add diced tomatoes and bell pepper to the pot. Mix for a minute then turn down the heat to low.
- Add your uncooked barley to the spiced chicken vegetable mixture and stir. Take the pot off the heat and pour mixture into a baking dish.
- Pour your chicken stock into the chicken and barley mixture. Place it in the oven and cover the top with foil or a lid.
- Bake for about 20-30 minutes or until barley is tender.
- The dish is ready when the chicken is fully cooked through and the barley is al dente to your liking. Enjoy!