Poke Bowl Recipe
Poke Bowls are quick, easy lunch or dinner meals that originated in Hawaii. They are pretty much the sushi equivalent of taco bowls — they are deconstructed sushi so they are much quicker to make than traditional rolls! These bowls can be easy to prepare but food safety is key here — You should ONLY purchase sashimi grade fish for this dish, as they are treated properly to allow consumption in their raw state. We recommend salmon for this dish (it is very high in omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for our brain health and contain anti-inflammatory properties), but you can use any of your favourite sashimi-grade fish! You can also use any grain of choice — a mix of white or brown rice, quinoa or barley would work just fine for this recipe. Choosing a grain with higher fibre content is excellent for your gut health. You can also drizzle some sriracha or mayo for a flavour enhancement! For this recipe, we used cucumbers and pickled ginger since they were what we had on hand, but you can use any of your favourite sliced vegetables for boosted vitamin, mineral and fibre content.
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 2–2 tsp sesame oil (to taste)
- 1/2 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- ½ tsp fresh chopped raw garlic
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds, plus more for garnish
- 1 lb sushi-grade fish, cut into bite-size pieces
- (optional) pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Recommended for serving: sliced avocado, sliced cucumber, grated carrot, cooked edamame, sliced watermelon radish, pickled ginger, sprouts. Get creative!
- 1 ½ cups cooked rice (approximately ¾ cup uncooked)
- In a large bowl, whisk together soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes, green onions, and sesame seeds. Add fish and toss to coat. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes or up to 1 hour.
- Chop all vegetables you will be serving with the bowls (cucumber, radish, etc), set aside.
- Cook rice. Add rice to the bottom of four bowls and refrigerate until cool (10-15 minutes).
- Top with sashimi and toppings of your choice. Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds before serving.