Oven Roasted Root Vegetables
Root vegetables have a sweet and earthy taste, and are both flavorful and nutritious. Sweet potatoes, beets, and carrots are all high in vitamin A, various minerals, and fibre. Vitamin A is important for protecting your vision and supporting your immune system, and fibre helps promote digestive health! The fresh rosemary and thyme goes really well with root vegetables, and it makes this dish super fragrant. This recipe is also very versatile, and you can substitute some of the root vegetables with other vegetables that are great for roasting such as squashes and brussel sprouts.
- 1 lb yams (orange sweet potatoes) – 2 small or one large, peeled
- 3/4 lb red potatoes scrubbed clean, peel on
- 1/2 lb beets (red or golden), trimmed and scrubbed clean
- 1/2 lb large carrots peeled and halved lengthwise
- 1 parsnip medium sized (4–5 oz), peeled and halved lengthwise
- 1/2 red onion peeled
- 6 whole garlic cloves large sized
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil divided
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves (or 2 tsp dried thyme)
- 5 sprigs fresh rosemary (or 3 tsp dried rosemary)
- 1 tsp ground cumin (can be omitted for Ashkenazi Passover)
- 1 tsp kosher salt or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper or more to taste
- Place a rack in the bottom of your oven and preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Slice all vegetables into chunks roughly 1 1/2 inches wide. The more similar the size of the vegetable pieces, the more evenly they will roast.
- Place cut vegetables into a large mixing bowl. Add 3 tbsp olive oil, fresh thyme leaves, ground cumin, kosher salt, and black pepper. Stir until all vegetables are evenly coated with oil, spice and herbs.
- Brush a large rimmed baking sheet with remaining 1 tbsp olive oil. Spread the vegetables out evenly on the baking sheet. Place the rosemary sprigs on top of the vegetables, evenly spaced across the sheet.
- Roast the vegetables in the oven for 15 minutes. Stir the vegetables, bringing the chunks from the outside towards the center and the chunks in the center out towards the edges. Return the baking sheet to the oven and continue to roast until the largest chunks are tender and the edges are starting to turn golden/dark, another 15-25 minutes.
- Remove the roasted rosemary sprigs and stir the vegetables (some leaves of rosemary will remain, this is good). Season with additional salt and pepper to taste, if desired. Vegetables can be served warm or at room temperature.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 250
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 270mg
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 1.4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 8.1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg