Mason Jar Chickpea Salad
A quick, portable, and extremely customizable meal that is packed with nutrients — a Mason Jar Salad is a fantastic meal to make for those who are on-the-go and looking for a refreshing dish!
Our jar is filled with chickpeas, which contains 184 calories, 124 grams of carbohydrates, 8 grams of fibre, 12 grams of protein, and 12 grams of fat per ½ cup / 125 mL serving. That’s a whole lot of nutrients for such a small bean! Along with tomatoes, cucumbers, romaine lettuce and dressing, there is a total of 216 calories, 132 grams of carbohydrates, 10 grams of fibre, and 13 grams of protein, a great source of antioxidants, vitamins C, vitamin K, folate acid, and 20.25 grams of fat! A very nutrient-dense meal that costs only $1.30 per serving!
This is a great meal idea since it can be customized to fit your needs and preferences. This recipe is vegan and gluten free. A great recommendation is to switch the romaine lettuce for spinach and/or arugula to top up your iron intake. You can replace the chickpeas to another protein choice, such as chicken breast or black beans, whichever you feel like having at the moment. This recipe is easy to prepare and takes about 10 minutes to create, which makes this ideal for anyone who want a quick and nutrient-dense meal on-the-go!
- Recipe based from: https://pulses.org/nap/recipe/chickpea-mason-jar-salad/
- Olive Oil 1 tbsp / 15 mL
- Balsamic Vinegar ½ tbsp / 7.5 mL
- Salt & Pepper To taste
- Chickpeas (drained & rinsed) ½ cup / 125 mL
- Cucumbers (cubed) ¼ cup / 62.5 mL
- Tomatoes (diced) ¼ cup / 62.5 mL
- Romaine Lettuce (chopped) ½ cup / 125 mL
- Combine all the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl, and whisk until a smooth consistency is formed.
- Prepare the salad ingredients, and put each ingredient into a separate bowl.
- Assemble the salad* with the dressing on the bottom, then the wet ingredients (tomatoes and cucumbers), and lastly with the dry ingredients (chickpeas and lettuce) to avoid a soggy salad.
- Enjoy! 🙂