Chickpea “Tuna” Salad
Chickpeas are rich in vitamins, fiber (great for digestion!) and are also high in protein, which make them a wonderful substitute for vegan and vegetarian recipes. This dish is delicious, savory, and comforting, and a great way to use up the can of chickpeas collecting dust in your pantry. Although raw red onion is not for everyone, it adds a kick to this recipe and provides a boost of antioxidants and contains antibacterial properties.
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 1 can chickpeas
- 2 stalks of celery, finely diced
- Half a red onion, finely diced
- 1 clove of garlic, finely diced
- Half an English cucumber, finely diced
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp capers
- ¼ cup mayonnaise (sub for vegan mayo if vegan)
- 2 tbsp dill
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drain and rinse the can of chickpeas in a colander. In a large bowl, mash the chickpeas until desired consistency/texture is reached
- Add in the celery, red onion, garlic, and cucumber. Mix until combined.
- Add in the mustard, capers, mayonnaise, dill, salt and pepper, and combine until well incorporated.
- Enjoy it in salads, sandwiches, on crackers, or on its own for a delicious and savory snack!
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 212
- Sugar: 4.1g
- Sodium: 574.4mg
- Fat: 12.6g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 9.8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 20.2g
- Fiber: 5.7g
- Protein: 6.4g
- Cholesterol: 5.8mg