Brown Sugar Cinnamon Baked Apple
There’s nothing quite like eating a cozy treat bursting with fall flavours. These brown sugar cinnamon apples make for an incredible stand-alone treat, or over some waffles or pancakes in the morning. Gala and Granny Smith apples hold up best in this preparation because of their natural crispiness and crystalline consistency. Naturally mushier apples would become a sort of apple sauce in the oven, so Gala and Granny Smith are the way to go! Apples are high in Vitamin C and have some dietary fibre too. The cinnamon and nutmeg flavor notes compliment each other beautifully against the conventional apple flavor. Adding some instant coffee to your apples is never a bad idea for the coffee lovers of the world!
- Yield: 3 servings 1x
- 2 large apples (Granny Smith or Gala preferred)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Optional: sprinkle of instant coffee
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces.
- Preheat oven to 350 ℉.
- Wash, peel, and slice apples into ¼-inch thick slices.
- Add apple slices to a small bowl. Add brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and dash of instant coffee to the bowl. Mix thoroughly, either with a spoon or by holding the bowl and swirling it in a circle so all apple slices get an even coating of brown sugar and spices.
- Spread apples slices evenly in a baking dish, lightly layering the slices if possible.
- Sprinkle small butter pieces over the apple mixture.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Enjoy hot with some hot cocoa, eggnog, or warm tea!
Recipe reviewed by Annie Tsang, RD
- Serving Size: 6 apple slices
- Calories: 100
- Sugar: 19g
- Sodium: 0mg
- Fat: 1.5g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 28g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg